Thursday, 22 December 2011

Our Christmas Library #3

At the weekend, I went to visit my friend the Vintage Bride in her new home of Henley-on-Thames. About three doors down from her new home is the loveliest and most reasonable little antiquarian book shop, Richard Way Booksellers. And tucked in a bargain box for £4 I found this utterly gorgeous Christmas book from 1946, filled with beautiful two colour illustrations.

My passion for hunting out vintage treasures is about more than just the items. It's about unearthing objects with history, stories and past lives. I know this is a passion so many of you share. And this lovely book is such a perfect example. Throughout the pages are pencil annotations in neat, old fashioned handwriting, indicating the book was once used as the script for a festive performance. I've loved leafing through the musty pages, imagining children, now in their 70s & 80s, narrating the Christmas story and singing the carols chosen to accompany the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment