Saturday, 15 October 2011

KCWC Day 5

On day five of my KCWC challenge, I didn't manage to fit in any sewing until after the little man went to bed. So I finished off the buttons and button holes on the orange dress late last night. I still can't quite get the hang of button holes. I've watched endless youtube tutorials for using my button hole foot on the machine but I can't seem to get it to work. Perhaps it's broken? Anyway, I ended up doing the button holes on the dress using my own cobbled together zig zag stitch method so they look suitably homemade but at least they work and are hidden by the cute little cream buttons!

Here's the finished dress and it's reminded me just how satisfying it is to make things using proper patterns. I think this Oliver + S pattern took me about 6 hours in total, including cutting out the pattern pieces. There were some instructions I found tricky to understand but once I'd worked them out, I'd learnt lots more about sewing. And I'm so chuffed with how it has turned out, especially the retro look with the little cream flaps. I can't wait to give it to Little Miss B.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love the covered buttons.

    Cheers!
    -Liesl

    ReplyDelete