Thursday, 26 May 2011

A Bright and Beautiful Baby Quilt: Part 3

Progress continues with the handmade quilt for Baby Biddle.

My backing fabric of vintage red gingham is approximately 150cm by 160cm so I needed to make 370 hexagons to fill this. Here they are ... it doesn't really seem like there are 370 hexagons in this picture but believe me, there are.


Next I laid them all out on the living room floor to get the pattern I wanted. This process took much longer than I'd thought. There were so many decisions to make, and with a belly the size of a bowling ball, it was a bit of a tricky feat to accomplish. So Mr Biddle helped me complete the pattern and decide where all the hexagons should go.


Once we'd decided on the final design, Mr B stacked each of the twenty rows into little piles which I then labelled with post it notes.


And since then, I've been sewing together these little colourful piles into long strips - I've found a good system which creates two rows at a time. I've done six of these strips so far (12 rows in total) and have four more strips to complete before I can start attaching them together into one large piece.

1 comment:

  1. You're making really good progress on this! I'm feeling inspired to have a go myself actually!

    ReplyDelete