Thursday, 20 January 2011

Vintage Dungarees

Is there anything cuter than a little boy in dungarees? There's something so innocent and old school about that look - far cuter than a pair of jeans. So I've been looking for vintage-style dungarees to dress the future Baby Biddle in.

First to come up trumps was the BabyGap sale where I picked up the following two pairs half price. I love how vintage these knitted cream ones are - so traditional yet with the added modern advantage of being machine washable and having leg openings. (If you hurry, I saw these BabyGap again today and they had now been reduced to £2.99 but there were only a couple of pairs left).


The navy cord dungarees are also adorable and I'm thinking of possibly changing the buttons for another colour - perhaps red or yellow - to make them a little less plain. Again they have poppers on the inside leg.


I've got my eye on the following pair from John Lewis with a Hot Air Balloon motif - I love Hot Air Balloons and now we live near Bristol, we'll be able to watch the Fiesta of balloons each year with the little nipper. These cost £18.
Image from www.johnlewis.com
I've also got my eye on these dungarees from Vintage Kit with their lovely duck print highlights.
Image from www.vintagekit.com
My other plan is to make some dungarees from my own stash of vintage and retro fabrics so I've been doing some research into patterns online. And I have to say my findings aren't great - there are so many more patterns out there for little girls clothing than little boys. But I managed to find the following unisex dungaree patterns from New Look and Burda, all of which are rated as easy, so I'll let you see the results of my sewing in due course.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a teeny bit obsessed with dungarees! LOVE the cosy cream knitted ones!

    ReplyDelete